Returns & Exchanges
Submit a Return Request:You can initiate a return request online if you made your purchase with an account. To do so:
- Log in at cornellstore.com
- Click your name at the top right of the screen
- Select Purchase History
- Select the Purchase No./Sales Order (SO) you’d like to return
- On the Purchase/Sales Order screen click "Request a Return"
- Check the box next to each item you’d like to return and select a reason for return
- Add a comment (optional)
- Click Submit Request
Your request will now be pending approval. A Customer Care Associate will review the order and contact you by email with further instructions on how to mail back your order.If you made a purchase without creating an account, please contact our Customer Care team at www.cornellstore.com/contact-us. Customer Care will provide you with a RMA# as well as directions on how to return your item.
- Cornell Health Preorder Items
- Merchandise in non-resalable condition
- Graduation stoles
- Items without packaging or original tags
- Cosmetics or personal care items
- Opened calculators, ink cartridges, media and some software
- Cornell chairs
General Merchandise Returns:General Merchandise and General Books returns must be received within 30 days from the date you receive your order. All returns must be shipped pre-paid and we recommend getting tracking and delivery confirmation. If you return the item in resalable condition but without a receipt or in non-new condition, a 20% handling fee may be applied and your return may be put on a Cornell Store gift card. Defective products will be exchanged for the same item only. Price adjustments can only be made within 10 days of your purchase and only if the original purchase was made without a promotion code applied. Special Holiday Returns Policy: Purchases made beginning mid-November may be returned at any time through the end of January.
Computer and Technology Returns:
Computer hardware and software may be returned within 7 calendar days from the date of purchase under the following conditions. All hardware and software returns must be inspected by Technology Connection staff prior to a refund being issued. The following exclusions apply:
- All returns must be accompanied by the correct receipt.
- Unopened stock hardware and software may be returned within 7 calendar days from the date of purchase for a full refund.
- Opened Apple products cannot be returned.
- Most opened hardware may be returned within 7 calendar days from the date of purchase provided it is undamaged, includes all packaging materials, and is in resalable condition. A 20% restocking fee will apply on all opened returned items.
- Opened software CANNOT be returned for a refund. Opened software may be exchanged for the same title within 7 calendar days from the date of purchase if found to be damaged or defective.
- Most special order software may be returned within 7 calendar days from the date of purchase with a 20% restocking fee.
- Software licensing products CANNOT be returned.
- Discontinued, clearance or sale hardware and software CANNOT be returned or exchanged.
- Custom configured computer hardware CANNOT be returned or exchanged.
Academic Materials Returns:
ALL RETURNS MUST BE RESALABLE
Cornell Academic Materials Program (CAMP) Course Materials Return Policy and Important Dates
CAMP Opt Out Deadline: September 8, 2023
- If you OPT-OUT, this item must be returned to the Cornell Store.
- If you DROP the course associated with this print item, it must be returned to The Cornell Store.
- The PRINT RETURN deadline is within 14-days of OPT-OUT/DROP or by September 22, 2023 (whichever comes first).
- Failure to return a print item for a dropped course or program OPT-OUT will result in a replacement fee charge (retail price of the unreturned item) to your bursar account.
- If you remain enrolled in the course associated with this print item and remain enrolled in CAMP for Fall 2023, it is yours to keep, and you do not need to return it to The Cornell Store.
Academic Materials Return Policy and Important Dates for Graduate Students
Course materials purchased for current term graduate courses are eligible for a refund based on the following purchase dates. All returns must be salable and be accompanied with the correct receipt.
- If purchased Aug. 1 – Sept. 8, 2023:
Must be returned by Sept. 15, 2023.
- If purchased Sept. 9 – Oct. 16, 2023:
Must be returned within 7 days.
- If purchased after Oct. 16, 2023:
Considered final sale and cannot be returned.
Please note: Overstock textbooks will start being returned to publishers on Oct. 1, 2023 and will no longer be for sale at The Cornell Store.
Digital Course Materials: VitalSource eBook Return Policy
There are a few important things to keep in mind when returning an eBook you purchased:
- The purchase falls within the Academic Materials return policy purchase and refund dates above.
- You have not viewed, in total, more than twenty percent (20%) of the VitalSource eBook and have not printed any pages.
- You have not used any included access codes for any online resource that came with your eBook purchase.
- You have not previously returned the same eBook from a prior purchase.
- You have not returned a total of 3 or more eBooks in the past 90 days across all of your VitalSource Accounts.
For purchases made directly on the VitalSource website, please consult VitalSource’s Refund Policy.
Note: Instant Access purchases and refunds are completed via Bursar transaction. If you require an Instant Access refund, please email InstantAccess@cornell.edu.
Abuse of Return Policy: VitalSource reserves the right to refuse to sell or to provide refunds to any person for any reason not prohibited by law. This includes, but not limited to, abuse of the return policy.
- New textbooks must be returned in new condition.
- Wrapped packages must be returned in their original wrapping.
- Refunds will not be granted for opened access code cards.
- Refunds will not be granted for course packs that are incomplete, written in, or if shrink wrap is broken.
- Print materials for dropped courses may be returned within 3 business days of drop date. All refund exceptions listed above apply.
Please present your receipt or packing slip from your web order when returning textbooks. Textbooks purchased new must be returned in new condition, and wrapped packages must be returned in their original wrapping. Refunds will not be granted for opened access code cards or for course packs that are incomplete or written in or whose shrink wrap has been broken. The Cornell Store reserves the right to reject items for refund that are no longer in sellable condition. The exception of product defects, incorrect order fulfillment, or other conditions deemed eligible by store personnel. In some cases, store credit may be offered for item refunds that otherwise do not fit all necessary return eligibility criteria. Refunds will not be granted for opened or scratched access code cards or for course packs that are incomplete or written in. Ebooks follow the same refund policy as above except RedShelf digital access codes/ebooks must not be more than 10% accessed and pages must not have been printed. If you drop a course after your return eligibility has expired, you may still request for a refund if you meet all returned merchandise conditions mentioned above. The refund request will be granted on a case by case basis and must be submitted online or in the store within 3 business days of dropping/withdrawal from the course.